Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Loss of a Best Friend





Unfortunately we had to put Velvet down tonight and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life- I couldn't even go through the entire process. I told Brenna that I would be able to go in the room with her and Velvet, but I couldn't do it. Velvet was a great dog for our family. She loved us to a fault because of the protection she thought she needed to give us.
Velvet was with Brenna for 10 years and I was with her for 6 years.
We had to put her down for one main reason, and in addition her quality of life was getting worse as the days passed. She had very bad arthritis, a cronic bacterial infection since July, a hard time breathing, severe edema in her legs, and some mystery bleeding that started the last few days. That main reason is that Sydney is now very active and wanted to play with Velvet and once this past weekend Sydney touched her legs and Velvet snipped at her. The snip was a warning snip at most, but we couldn't live with ourselves if something more were to happen to Sydney. You too often hear those stories where the family dog injures the youngest family member & the parents say "they never thought their dog would do that". We never thought that Velvet would hurt anyone, but we aren't willing to take any risks with our precious little girl or anyone else's little one. Our hearts will be heavy over the next several days as we remember the soft, chubby, loyal, snoring dog that we loved.

5 Comments:

Blogger the hortons said...

We are so sorry for you loss. It's never an easy process to go through. Our family is thinking about and praying for yours.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so sorry for your loss. Velvet was a great dog.
~Jackie & Darin

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff and Brenna. I had to put my dog of 11 years down this summer. It was awful,who knew I could cry so many tears over an animal. I am truely sorry for your loss and the void that it leaves. I'll be praying for you
-Diana

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear about that, you guys. I can't imagine what it will be like to make that decision for Dreyfuss.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I'm so sorry, that is the worst thing ever. I am dreading the day that is probably sooner then later for "The BMOC" (Big Man on Campus) Sam.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home